Why is plasma hammering my CPU?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Oct 13 15:33:51 BST 2010

Duncan posted on Wed, 13 Oct 2010 11:03:01 +0000 as excerpted:

> Specifically, the blur effect uses one,

I see Mornesso/TopperH has suggested that as a culprit, too, especially
for Intel graphics hardware.

> the kernel
> bug I mentioned may kill certain r600/r700 series OpenGL for those
> running either the 2.6.35.x stable series (tho 2.6.35 itself is fine) or
> 2.6.36- rcs, at least for those running rv730s on certain older amd64
> AGP based hardware like mine.  Hopefully that'll be fixed by release,

Heh, there were a couple comments on the bug that the emails for
apparently got caught in the spam-traps somewhere and I didn't see.  But
there's contact and some progress, now.  As so often seems the case,
nothing seemed to happen until I let off some steam saying nothing was
happening.  Anyway, I gotta get a bit of sleep so my results have a better
chance of actually making some sense, and then do a bit more testing.
It's looking like it could be more AGP specific than radeon/dri/graphics,
related.