Openbox on KDE

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Mon May 31 03:07:13 BST 2010

Steve Brettell posted on Sun, 30 May 2010 19:05:20 -0400 as excerpted:

> I like light weight window managers.  I guess it's a throw back to my
> Commodore 64 days.  Anyway, I installed Openbox on my system, and am
> given the option of running Openbox alone, or as an add-on to KDE or
> Gnome.  The latter two of course kinda defeat the lightweight idea, but
> they are fun.
>
> When I run Openbox as a stand alone,  or any of the others, such as
> Awesome, I can't figure out how to hook up to my wireless network.
> Nothing seems to work.  There's no program that offers the "Connect"
> option.
>
> Does anyone know how to accomplish going on line in Openbox?

Have you tried wicd?  It's an alternative to the network manager based
network controls that many find works better for them.

Wicd has three parts, a daemon (thus the d in wicd) that's run as root,
and two clients as GUI choices, wicd-gtk and wicd-curses.  What's nice is
that the wicd-curses interface can be run from the command line as well as
a terminal window (like konsole), so even if your chosen X environment or
X itself won't run, you have the "semi-gui" wicd-curses net control
available to help make it possible to google the problem using the wicd
managed net connection, allowing you to fix your broken X. =:^)

Wicd  then uses the traditional wireless-tools and wpa-supplicant CLI
tools as backends to interface with the actual hardware.