KDE SC 4: The good, the bad, and the broken

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon May 24 15:02:37 BST 2010

On 24 May 2010 15:22, Dennis Neumeier <dennismail at gmx.net> wrote:
> 1. The x.0 version thing is a good point - I would say that this is even the
> most important one. There were many german linux newspapers that wrote that
> there were many things not working as users would think in KDE 4.0. This shows
> clearly that here, developers should include this point in the roadmap.

Yes, that was actually the catalyst of the presentation. A future
presentation may expand on that, if some key devs are willing to be
interviewed.

> 2. Innovative Features: Well, I know, this was talked about many times all
> around the net, but still, I have many people around me that are still asking:
> "What is the advantage of this new plasma thing?" or "Why can't I simply put a
> link to an application to the desktop with right-click like I used to?" To
> really gain the attention of potential switchers to KDE SC 4, I would first of
> all answer these questions, although (I have to admit), I didn't find any real
> good answers to them. If there are any good answers, I propose to include
> those in such a presentation - that would help many LUGs, I suppose.

I do have some answers to that question, but I will wait for KDE 4.5
to be released before opening my mouth. Hint: activities (which were
terribly broken until now).

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il