KDE SC 4: The good, the bad, and the broken

Dennis Neumeier dennismail at gmx.net
Mon May 24 13:22:19 BST 2010

Hi there,

I just went through your presentation and generally, it's a good and short
overview. Let me just go through the main points that came to my mind:

1. The x.0 version thing is a good point - I would say that this is even the
most important one. There were many german linux newspapers that wrote that
there were many things not working as users would think in KDE 4.0. This shows
clearly that here, developers should include this point in the roadmap.

2. Innovative Features: Well, I know, this was talked about many times all
around the net, but still, I have many people around me that are still asking:
"What is the advantage of this new plasma thing?" or "Why can't I simply put a
link to an application to the desktop with right-click like I used to?" To
really gain the attention of potential switchers to KDE SC 4, I would first of
all answer these questions, although (I have to admit), I didn't find any real
good answers to them. If there are any good answers, I propose to include
those in such a presentation - that would help many LUGs, I suppose.

Greets,
Michael

--
This is the first age that's paid much attention to the future, which is a
little ironic since we may not have one.