Akonadi server will not start

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu May 20 11:10:52 BST 2010

On Thursday, 2010-05-20, Jerry wrote:
> On Thu, 20 May 2010 09:55:29 +0200
>
> Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at> articulated:
> > On Thursday, 2010-05-20, Jerry wrote:
> > > I recently did a fresh install of KDE, Platform Version 4.4.3 (KDE
> > > 4.4.3), on  FreeBSD-8/amd64 machine. Everything works except for the
> > > akonadi server. It crashes as upon start-up. This is the error log.
> > >
> > > Akonadi Server Self-Test Report
> > > ===============================
> > >
> > > Test 1:  SUCCESS
> > > --------
> > >
> > > Database driver found.
> > > Details: The QtSQL driver 'QMYSQL' is required by your current
> > > Akonadi server configuration and was found on your system.
> > >
> > > File content of '/home/gerard/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc':
> > > [%General]
> > > Driver=QMYSQL
> > > SizeThreshold=4096
> > > ExternalPayload=false
> > >
> > > [QMYSQL]
> > > Name=akonadi
> > > Host=localhost
> > > User=xxxxxx
> > > Password=XXXXXXXX
> > > Options="UNIX_SOCKET=/home/gerard/.local/share/akonadi/db_misc/mysql.so
> > > cket " ServerPath=/usr/local/bin/mysqld_safe
> > > StartServer=false
> >
> > Can you confirm that you are using a system wide MySQL server and
> > have configured it properly?
>
> MySQL is started when I boot up. Since this machine is also used as a
> web server, it is virtually never down. MySQL is up and running
> correctly at present.
>
> I chose not to use the running version of MySQL since the Akonadi
> server was having all sorts of problems accessing it. A snippet follows.

> Test 3:  SUCCESS
> --------
>
> MySQL server is executable.
> Details: MySQL server found:
> cat: /var/db/mysql/scorpio.seibercom.net.pid: Permission denied
> rm: /var/db/mysql/scorpio.seibercom.net.pid: Permission denied 100520
> 05:45:56 mysqld_safe Fatal error: Can't remove the pid
> file: /var/db/mysql/scorpio.seibercom.net.pid Please remove it manually
> and start /usr/local/bin/mysqld_safe again; mysqld daemon not started
> /usr/local/bin/mysqld_safe: cannot
> create /var/db/mysql/scorpio.seibercom.net.err: Permission denied
> 100520 05:45:56 mysqld_safe Logging to
> '/var/db/mysql/scorpio.seibercom.net.err'.

> Is there some special configuration I have to setup on MySQL in order
> to get the server to work with it? I placed all of the pertinent
> information requested when I configured it; or at least I thought so.

Did you change to a internal server?
I mean Test 3 does look very different now, did Test 1 also change?

As I said I don't have any experience with using a global instance, my guess
is you need to configure MySQL so it accepts your user/password, is reachable
from a program running as you user and maybe has the akonadi database for that
user.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring