Akonadi server will not start

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu May 20 08:55:29 BST 2010

On Thursday, 2010-05-20, Jerry wrote:
> I recently did a fresh install of KDE, Platform Version 4.4.3 (KDE
> 4.4.3), on  FreeBSD-8/amd64 machine. Everything works except for the
> akonadi server. It crashes as upon start-up. This is the error log.
>
> Akonadi Server Self-Test Report
> ===============================
>
> Test 1:  SUCCESS
> --------
>
> Database driver found.
> Details: The QtSQL driver 'QMYSQL' is required by your current Akonadi
> server configuration and was found on your system.
>
> File content of '/home/gerard/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc':
> [%General]
> Driver=QMYSQL
> SizeThreshold=4096
> ExternalPayload=false
>
> [QMYSQL]
> Name=akonadi
> Host=localhost
> User=xxxxxx
> Password=XXXXXXXX
> Options="UNIX_SOCKET=/home/gerard/.local/share/akonadi/db_misc/mysql.socket
> " ServerPath=/usr/local/bin/mysqld_safe
> StartServer=false

Can you confirm that you are using a system wide MySQL server and have
configured it properly?

> Test 12:  ERROR
> --------
>
> Current Akonadi server error log found.
> Details: The Akonadi server did report error during startup into <a
> href='/home/gerard/.local/share/akonadi/akonadiserver.error'>/home/gerard/.
> local/share/akonadi/akonadiserver.error</a>.
>
> File content of '/home/gerard/.local/share/akonadi/akonadiserver.error':
> "[
> 0: 0x414701 <_Z11akBacktracev+865> at /usr/local/kde4/bin/akonadiserver
> 1: 0x7fffffffffc4
> ]
> "

The most common case for a backtrace in the log is database connection failure
or loss.
I have no personal experience with using a system wide MySQL daemon so I won't
be able to give you any hints on how to check that its setup is correct.

> Apparently, there is a problem with 'dbus' although I am not able to
> figure out what. The resource agent message is also unclean. I am
> hoping that someone can assist me here.

This is almost certainly just an effect of the problem Test 12 has found in
the log.
The Akonadi server process can't be found on the D-Bus session bus because it
shutdown or crashed, Test 6 just states what it sees and that is Akonadi
server not being registered at the bus.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring