Problem with KDE and LTSP

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Mon May 17 23:11:21 BST 2010

Thierry Dumont posted on Mon, 17 May 2010 16:05:44 +0200 as excerpted:

> We have a problem with kde and ltsp (Lightweight Terminal Server
> Project).

I had thought, and Wikipedia seems to agree, that it's /Linux/ Terminal
Server Project.  Did they recently go more generic and decide to kill the
Linux specific bit, changing it to Lightweight, instead?

> We posted a message explaining our problem on the ltsp mailing
> list, but, possibly, the answer is more KDE related (possibly).

I expect so, see below.

> Our problem:
> We cannot open KDE sessions on the ltsp thin clients, but everything is
> ok on the consol of the server. Other sessions we have tried (gnome,
> xfce) are ok on ltsp.
>
> We use the last Ubuntu version (10.04 LTS).

I have no personal experience with this, but I've seen it stated several
times here, that kde4 is not designed for nor does it work, with multiple
kde sessions on the same machine.  I don't know why, but that seems to be
the case.  I imagine there's bugs reported on it if you wish to check on
them.

>From what I've read, kde3 wasn't actually designed for it either, but it
happened to work by accident, and once discovered, it was a popular enough
feature they didn't wish to kill it.  I've read that the problem with kde4
is that no kde developer has taken an active interest in supporting the
feature, and enough has been recoded since kde3, that making it work isn't
exactly trivial.

You're not the first and I'm sure won't be the last to ask about it,
however.  What those who are really interested in being able to run
multiple kde sessions at once need to do, is find or sponsor a developer
so that they have an interest in getting this working.  That would seem to
be the easiest way to a fix at this point.

So it looks like at least for now, KDE is likely out as a working
alternative for you.  You'll probably have to choose something else, at
least short to medium term.