Problem with KDE and LTSP

Thierry Dumont tdumont at math.univ-lyon1.fr
Mon May 17 15:05:44 BST 2010

Hello,

We have a problem with kde and ltsp (Lightweight Terminal Server
Project). We posted a message explaining our problem on the ltsp mailing
list, but, possibly, the answer is more KDE related (possibly).

Our problem:
We cannot open KDE sessions on the ltsp thin clients, but everything is
ok on the consol of the server. Other sessions we have tried (gnome,
xfce) are ok on ltsp.

We use the last Ubuntu version (10.04 LTS).

We have to servers:
-the terminal server is an i386 machine
-the "working" server on which users connect is an AMD 64.

We have some hints in the .xsession-errors file:

klauncher: Exiting on signal 1
kded4: Fatal IO error: client killed
kglobalaccel: Fatal IO error: client killed
ksmserver: Fatal IO error: client killed
kdeinit4: Fatal IO error: client killed
kdeinit4: sending SIGHUP to children.
kwin: Fatal IO error: client killed
kdeinit4: sending SIGTERM to children.
kdeinit4: Exit.
Unexpected response from KInit (response = 0).
startkde: Could not start ksmserver. Check your installation.
Error: Can't open display: localhost:11.0
Could not connect to D-Bus server: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoServer:
Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-qLWdFjKRUB: Connexion refusée
startkde: Shutting down...
kdeinit4_wrapper: Warning:
connect(/home/bidon/.kde/socket-damysos/kdeinit4_localhost_11) failed: :
No such file or directory
Error: Can not contact kdeinit4!
startkde: Running shutdown scripts...
xprop:  unable to open display 'localhost:11.0'
xprop:  unable to open display 'localhost:11.0'
startkde: Done.
kdeinit4: sending SIGTERM to children.
kdeinit4: Exit.

but we could not solve the problem.

On the terminal server, we have the following packages installed:
 ltsp-cluster-accountmanager               2.0.3-0ubuntu1

  ltsp-cluster-lbagent                      2.0.2-0ubuntu1

 ltsp-server                               5.2.1-0ubuntu9
                     ltspfs

and on the "working" server: ltsp-server, ltspfs

Any idea?

Thank you in advance.
Thierry Dumont