Problems with akonadi and kmail

Marcelo Magno T. Sales mmtsales at gmail.com
Sun May 9 13:09:04 BST 2010

People,

I'm having some problems with akonadi and kmail and would like to know
if they are configuration problems or if I should file bugs.

I use KAddressbook embedded in Kontact. I open Kontact as soon as I log
in and keep it always opened. Right after I open it, KAddressbook works
as expected. However, after an hour or two, I can't see the details of
my contacts anymore. It still displays the contacts list, but when I
click any of them, nothing is displayed in the details pane. Also, if I
double click them, the edit contact window is displayed with all fields
blank.
If I close Kontact and open it again, or if I stop akonadi and start it
again, KAddressbook will resume working. It seems akonadi stops
responding after some time it is running, but it does not die, because
KAddressbook knows it is running even when it cannot display the
contacts details (when I stop akonadi, KAddressbook immediately reports
akonadi is unavailable).

Also, even when Akonadi is not responding, kmail's autocomplete feature
still works when I'm filling up a contact name in a new e-mail's TO:
field. Indeed, it even suggests addresses that are not in my address
book anymore. So, it seems the address book kmail is using is not the
same KAddressbook is using. How can this be? I can't find any address
book related settings in kmail configuration.

I did not create any akonadi address book manually. KAddressbook and
Kmail are behaving like that since my addresss book was automatically
migrated to akonadi in one of KDE's upgrades.

Thanks,

Marcelo