Plasma workspace error

hannie hannie at kde.nl
Sat May 1 09:05:41 BST 2010

>> Message: 3
>> Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 08:54:19 +0100
>> From: Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>
>> Subject: Re: [kde] Plasma workspace error
>> To: kde at mail.kde.org
>>
>> On Thursday 29 April 2010 21:27:32 lafeber-dumoleyn2 wrote:
>>> Today's Topics:

>>> desktop > is
>>> /etc
>>> When

>>> to a
>>> made
>>> Try to

>>> "/home/<username>/.kde".
>>> should say
>>> ".kde.bak".
>>> post the
>>>
>>> Thomas Olsen
>>>
>>> Hello Thomas,
>>> I am not sure if I can send the file .xsessions-errors to this list
>>> as an
>>> attachment. It consists of 619 lines, which is also too much to
>>> paste here
>>> I suppose. Please let me know which is best.
>>> Can you explain to me what this move action really does? When I restart
>>> Kubuntu I think a fresh folder .kde is made, because I can see it in
>>> Dolphin. But I still have a black screen, and no desktop. The error
>>> message is: Workspace KDE DRKonqi closed unexpectedly (I translated the
>>> Dutch message) KDEinit4 PID 1551 Signal: 11 (segmentation fault). This
>>> error occurred after the last update. The update window mentioned 30
>>> blocked updates. I have no idea why they are blocked. I run Kubuntu
>>> in a
>>> virtual machine.
>>> Hannie
>>
>> If it's too big to send to the list, the best way is to upload it to
>> pastebin.ca.  If it's too big for them they will give you a URL for a
>> site
>> that can take larger files.  Either way, just post the URL here.
>>
>> I hadn't been following this thread, but can I ask a couple of
>> questions? You
>> don't have an Intel graphics chipset, do you?  Can you check your
>> grub file
>> (I'm not familiar with grub2, so you may need a kubuntu user to help)
>> and make
>> sure that you don't have 'nomodeset' in the kernel commands?
>>
>> Anne
>> --

Hello Anne,
The solution of Thomas Olsen (mv .kde .kde.bak) didn't work. I am
sending the .xsession-errors file as an attachment, hoping it will not
be too big.
As for your questions: I have an nVidia chipset. As for the Grub file: I
do not know how to check if there is a 'nomodeset' in the kernel
commands, but it does not seem logical to me that this is the problem
because everything was fine before the last update (although there may
have been an update in Grub causing the problem).

I run Kubuntu in a Virtual machine. I have a dual-boot system, Windows
XP with Ubuntu. In Ubuntu I run Sun Virtual Box where I installed
Kubuntu. The reason for this complicated system is because I translate
for both Ubuntu and Kubuntu + KDE.
Until the last update everything was fine. Now I cannot run the
plasma-desktop anymore. After a second try to move .kde to .kde.bup and
a restart I came in prompt mode. When I typed the command plasma-desktop
I got the following error:
plasma-desktop(1475): KUniqueApplication: cannot find the D-Bus session
server: "/bin/dbus-launch terminated abnormally with the following
error: KUniqueApplication: Pipe closed unexpectedly.
The folder .kde now only had the folders share and tmp-MyPCname in it. I
moved .kde.bup back to .kde and now at least I get the screen in which I
can run programs with Alt+F2.
If I cannot resolve this problem I will remove Kubuntu Karmic Koala and
replace it by Kubuntu Lucid Lynx, hoping that it will work.
Hannie