Defaults for the KDE 4.4 printer dialog

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 30 19:59:33 BST 2010

On Tuesday 30 March 2010 19:38:44 Tassilo Horn wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 March 2010 20:11:16 Anne Wilson wrote:
>
> Hi Anne,
>
> > > I tried the [set as default] button in the printer listing.  Or is
> > > there another default setting, which tells my locally running cupsd
> > > to use some remote printer as default without trying to do any
> > > modifications on the remote side?
> >
> > In theory you could, but you will probably need to get from the
> > university sysadmins the connection method required.  While you are
> > connected try localhost:631 and give your root password.  Check "Show
> > printers shared by other systems" and try "Find Printers".  If it can
> > find the printer you probably will have to tell it the protocol and
> > port information, which the sysadmin gave you.
>
> Do I understand correctly that you are suggesting adding that printer
> locally (to my cups), and then I can set it as default?

Very likely - assuming that you can actually get your local CUPS to recognise
it.  However, remember that you will not always be attached to the university
network.  Personally I'd be dubious about making that the defaujlt.

> Most probably, that would work, but then I'd work around the benefits of
> the automatic service discovery.  I think, I'll simply wait a bit till
> the Qt printer dialog is back on par with the old one, now that I know
> somebody is already working on that. :-)

It's a long, slow job.  It's taken something like four years to get to this
stage.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group