KDE 4.4 file copy question

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Jun 18 03:29:06 BST 2010

MPR posted on Thu, 17 Jun 2010 09:37:26 -0700 as excerpted:

> I don't know what you mean by sysadmin mode or user mode. I just started
> using KDE yesterday for the first time in about 10 years so these may be
> new terms that you will have to explain to me.

Pardon, that was in reference to me, not the computer.  What I meant is
that when I'm copying enough files to have a cancel button stay up for
long enough to actually worry about, it's when I'm in system
administration mode, doing tasks that a system administrator would do, and
there I use different tools, in particular, ones that don't require KDE,
since part of system administration is fixing broken stuff, including,
sometimes, KDE or X, in which case I /couldn't/ use KDE tools.  I do use
kde file tools, especially gwenview for graphics files, since working with
the thumbnails is very easy in it, for moving around an occasional file or
two, but when I do so, I'm in user mode, doing user things like working
with graphics, maybe moving a few files around here or there, but in
general, not moving masses of files around, as that would be something I'd
do in system administrator mode again, using different tools.

IOW, a screwdriver can in a pinch be used as a hammer, but it doesn't make
a particularly good one.  In the same way, I use the tools that are right
for the tasks I'm doing, and at least personally, I don't consider kde
based tools the right ones for moving a whole slew of files around.  As a
result, when I /do/ use kde tools for moving files, it's only one or two,
or perhaps a handful, and whatever cancel dialog might show up doesn't
generally last long enough for me to worry about clicking it.  Thus, I've
never experienced the bug you refer to personally, and would be unlikely
to do so.  So while your post has made it a bug I'm aware of, I don't care
enough about it personally to go doing that bug search or filing, myself.

But if you already filed a bug and had it marked dup, the whole point is
moot anyway, so at this point, all I'm doing is clearing up the confusion
over the argument I made before.

If that makes any more sense...