Newbie total loss of KDE icons and...

Bernard T. Higonnet bthcom at higonnet.net
Tue Jun 15 21:36:18 BST 2010

On 06/15/10 11:38, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Tuesday, 2010-06-15, Bernard T. Higonnet wrote:
>
>> After starting up but before doing anything I have this from ps:
>>
>> higonnet    2086  1.4  2.4 253964 50288  ??  S    11:06AM   0:04.50
>> kdeinit4: kdeinit4: plasma-desktop (kdeinit4)
>
> That is correct.
>
>> Then trying the suggestion I get this:
>>
>> /usr/local/kde4/bin/kquitapp plasma-desktop&&  plasma-desktop
>> <unknown program name>(2209)/: "Application plasma-desktop could not be
>> found using service org.kde.plasma-desktop and path /MainApplication."
>
> Strange.
> kquitapp is basically a convenience wrapper around one specific D-Bus call:
>
> qdbus org.kde.plasma-desktop /MainApplication org.kde.KApplication.quit
>
> However, your output suggests that org.kde.plasma-desktop is not known as a D-
> Bus service name.
>
> You can run just "qdbus" or "qdbusviewer" to see which service names are
> registered.

qdbusviewer

sees org.freedesktop.DBus, org.freedesktop.Hal and
org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit and also says in xterm

libpng warning: Application was compiled with png.h from libpng-1.2.40
libpng warning: Application  is  running with png.c from libpng-1.4.1
libpng warning: Incompatible libpng version in application and library
libpng warning: Application was compiled with png.h from libpng-1.2.40
libpng warning: Application  is  running with png.c from libpng-1.4.1
libpng warning: Incompatible libpng version in application and library

Using the latest ports, I re-installed png successfully to no avail, and
tried to re-install qt4-qdbusviewer-4.6.2 but that failed with the
following messages

.moc/release-shared/moc_qdbusviewer.cpp:14:2: error: #error "This file
was generated using the moc from 4.5.2. It"
.moc/release-shared/moc_qdbusviewer.cpp:15:2: error: #error "cannot be
used with the include files from this version of Qt."
.moc/release-shared/moc_qdbusviewer.cpp:16:2: error: #error "(The moc
has changed too much.)"

????
Bernard Higonnet