4.5rc2 Air brightness/volume OSD visibility

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Jul 31 23:43:25 BST 2010

Zorael posted on Sat, 31 Jul 2010 12:49:00 +0200 as excerpted:

> I'm running Kubuntu lucid with 4.5rc2 from the beta ppa. It's been a
> pretty smooth ride and I look forward to 4.5's release.
>
> As some late feedback I'd like to point out that the OSD that's
> displayed when you adjust brightness and volume is very difficult to
> see. This is using the default Air theming. The borders of the blocks
> (signifying steps in volume/brightness) get slightly darkened, and the
> blocks themselves become white where they earlier were very bright grey.
> The borders are literally 1px in width, and the opacity change of both
> borders and blocks is not very considerable.

Hmm...  I can see the difference between filled-in and not, here, but I'm
running an LED backlit based LCD, better quality than the usual/cheaper
florescent backlit ones, and I've gamma adjusted somewhat as well.
There's a difference in the filled/unfilled but it's certainly not enough
difference to see at-a-glance, as OSDs of that nature should be.

Out of curiosity, I used the color-picker on kcolorchooser to check the
colors.  I turned off transparency so it wasn't fooling things.  The
filled "white" appears to be #fdfdfd or #fefefe, while the unfilled light
gray appears to be #e9e9e9 or #eaeaea.  The lines appear to be #9d9d9d for
the filled sections, and #c3c3c3 or #c1c1c1 for the unfilled sections.  So
the squares are close to #fff in #999 filled, #eee in #bbb unfilled.

Agreed, that's too little of a change.  Given the monocolor grays design
(which I don't like, but that's beside the point), the filled should be
far closer to #fff in #000, at /least/ #fff in #888 if not #fff in #555 or
the like, with unfilled a grayed out #ccc in #aaa or the like.  That'd be
far easier to read the level "at-a-glance".