CiscoLinksys AE1000 usb wifi N Dual Band adapter on a KUbuntu 10.4 Howto Thoughts Issues ; jor

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Jul 30 18:18:01 BST 2010

giovanni_re posted on Fri, 30 Jul 2010 02:09:49 -0700 as excerpted:

> KDE wifi info not findable in a reasonable search time, &/or 5 years out
> of date:

I only have my netbook configured for wired Ethernet, and of course my
main system's wired as well, but FWIW, I've seen some discussion of the
topic both here and on kde-planet.

There's knetworkmanager, and I think a related plasmoid, but they're still
under serious development and aren't particularly reliable or easy to
trouble-shoot ATM (tho with 4.5 coming out within the week, I'm not sure,
maybe they work reasonably in it).

However, a number of people here have recommended wicd as a somewhat less
complex "just works" alternative to network-manager.  Wicd has two UIs, a
GTK based GUI (which of course requires that GTK be installed, but it'll
run in kde and doesn't require full gnome), and the ncurses "semi-gui",
which can be used at the text login or in a konsole window.  Presumably
binary distributions will ship with support for both, thus depending on
both, but on Gentoo (and presumably other source based distributions, or
if you build from source yourself), you can choose which one or both to
build against, at compile-time.

But if you're using firefox as your browser, as many do even if they run
kde as their primary desktop environment, you'll already have gtk
installed anyway, so the wicd dependencies should be little more than the
wired and wireless related back-ends that it's a front-end for.