CiscoLinksys AE1000 usb wifi N Dual Band adapter on a KUbuntu 10.4 Howto Thoughts Issues ; jor

giovanni_re john_re at fastmail.us
Fri Jul 30 10:09:49 BST 2010

Today I will be installing a Cisco/Linksys AE1000 usb wifi N Dual Band
adapter on a KUbuntu 10.4 system on an ~ 2004 Compaq laptop.  Then I
will be attempting to see if I can get network access through that hw.
http://homestore.cisco.com/en-us/Adapters/Linksys-AE1000-Wirelessn-connector_stcVVproductId97826164VVcatId551966VVviewprod.htm

Given that KDE doesn't seem to have the network management
comprehensiveness that current GNOME network-manager attempts, & that
the KDE website doesn't seem to have a Network management sw topic, nor
wifi, oriented mailing lists, & that lacking those infrastructures, the
KUbuntu users list is not highly likely to have users highly
knowledgeable about specific wifi client hw & what sw to use to manage
it, where are some better info sources (website, mailing list) for how
one would best manage wifi networking with eht AE1000 device under
KUbuntu 10.4?

Motivating factor: attempting to use the KUbuntu GNU(Linux) system where
there is a wifi network that a windows computer using Intel wifi HW is
showing a 150Mb/s wifi connection, & observed Cisco wifi AP.

==  KDE wifi info not findable in a reasonable search time, &/or 5 years
out of date:
http://kde.org/applications/internet/kwlan/
Kwlan is an alternative network manager supporting profiles for dial-up,
wired and wireless networks.
(Deprecated by NetworkManager)

"NetworkManager" isn't show under KDE Applications: System, Internet nor
Utilities.

http://kde.org/applications/
http://kde.org/applications/internet/
http://kde.org/applications/system/
http://kde.org/applications/utilities/

http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Solid_Network_Tutorial

Network Configuration
This manual explains how to install and use KNetworkConf,
Revision 1.0 (2005-03-24)
http://docs.kde.org/development/en/kdeadmin/kcontrol/knetworkconf/index.html

==
Is the linux-wireless at vger.kernel.org list the only list where more
knowledgeable info on this topic would be obtained?

==
Is using this under KUbuntu going to require an effort like this:
"get his new Linksys AE1000  working on Fedora 12
2.6.31.9-174.fc12.x86_64, so I thought I'd post my findings, since they
were fairly scarce, and less than straight forward."

Thanks. :)