Kmail problems

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Mon Jul 26 23:38:41 BST 2010

James Kerr posted on Mon, 26 Jul 2010 19:59:47 +0100 as excerpted:

>> The version i am trying to use the configs from is the version that
>> came with KDE 4.3.1 on an opensuse 11.2 RC  version  it is a problem i
>> have come across several times  unless i use kde as root but as a user
>> i have always had to fight this problem and normally end up redoing it
>> all by hand but thats going to take me a month of sundays to do now
>>

> Are your UID/GID the same on both systems? If not, you'll have to chown
> the files that have been copied over.

That's my guess too.  I've had similar happen here, when I switched from
Mandrake to Gentoo.

(My solution, since I had little or no non-default user config on the new
setup, was to simply change the UID:GID of the new user to match the old
one.  Far faster than doing a recursive chown over multiple gigs of files!)