Pam configuration for KDE 4.3

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sun Jan 31 14:36:00 GMT 2010

thierry.jeanmougin at cegetel.net posted on Sun, 31 Jan 2010 12:14:59 +0100
as excerpted:

> Hello
>
> I have just build KDE 4.3, but I cannot connect through KDM. Extract
> from /var/log/auth.log
>
> Jan 31 11:38:25 localhost kcheckpass[1268]: Authentication failure for
> kde-devel (invoked by uid 1009)
> Jan 31 11:38:28 localhost unix_chkpwd[1272]: check pass; user unknown
> Jan 31 11:38:28 localhost unix_chkpwd[1273]: check pass; user unknown
> Jan 31 11:38:28 localhost unix_chkpwd[1273]: password check failed for
> user (kde-devel)
> Jan 31 11:38:28 localhost kcheckpass[1271]: pam_unix(kde:auth):
> authentication failure; logname= uid=1009 euid=1009 tty=:0 ruser= rhost=
>  user=kde-devel
>

> It seems the problem comes from the PAM configuration, but I have not
> found any hint concerning the PAM configuration for KDE.

I'm no pam guru, but that seems plain enough.  It's looking for a user
named "kde-devel" and not finding one in the password database.  So were
you trying to login under that name?  Something was.

Given that kdm is the KDE/X graphical login, I'd check its permissions.
What do you mean you can't connect thru it?  Does it start and won't let
you login as anything, or does it not even start?

FWIW, I don't run any *DM here.  I login at the CLI, then run a script
that sets up a bit of stuff (KDEHOME and a couple other vars, so I don't
have to use the default ~/.kde, etc, running kbuildsycoca4 and setting the
XSESSION up to run startkde), then runs startx.  Most of the setup I do
isn't required, just stuff I do because my setup isn't quite default.  You
should therefore simply be able to point your XSESSION as appropriate and
run startx, bypassing KDM (and other *DM) entirely.  Does that work?