KMail thread view

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Jan 29 13:10:56 GMT 2010

On Friday, 2010-01-29, Edgar Kalkowski wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> I very much like the new KMail of KDE 4 and very much enjoy the threaded
>  view especially when reading mailing lists. However sometimes KMail fails
>  to recognize that some message is a response to a previous message. Can
>  this be because some people change the subject of mails they respond to to
>  “[Re: Subject]” instead of the usual “Re: Subject”?
>
> Or what is it that KMail uses to build up the threaded view?

The first and most important threading information are message headers for
that very purpose.

For example if you look at this mail's "source" (e.g. by pressing the V key),
you'll find two such headers: references and in-reply-to, containing the
message ID of your mail.

KMail can therefore easily figure out that this is a reply to you mail,
independent of whether I change the subject or not.

However, some email clients don't do this properly, e.g. file to set the
headers correctly or not at all.

In such situations KMail will try to work around the other client's brokeness
by guessing threading through hints like subject and known subject prefixes
like "Re:"

Since guessing is never the same as knowing, there can be situations where
KMail guess is wrong.

It might be possible to fine tune this behavior somewhat, e.g. which prefixes
are understood when parsing subjects.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring