Dolphin and ssh keys in KDE 4.4

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. bss at iguanasuicide.net
Tue Jan 26 19:29:11 GMT 2010

On Tuesday 26 January 2010 12:44:58 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 01/26/2010 10:47 AM, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Tuesday, 2010-01-26, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> >> Is this a bug or did something change in KDE 4.4?  The "ssh" and "scp"
> >> commands work fine.  My ~/.ssh/config has this:
> >>
> >>     Host myserv
> >>     User realnc
> >>     HostName foo.bar.baz.co.uk
> >>     IdentityFile ~/.ssh/identity_myserv
> >>
> >> Dolphin is able to figure out that "sftp://myserv" means
> >> "sftp://realnc@foo.bar.baz.co.uk" (that means the "Host" and "User"
> >> fields of the config file have effect) but it just won't use my
> >> ~/.ssh/identity_myserv key and will ask for realnc at myserv's password
> >> instead.
> >
> > Maybe this needs ssh-agent and there is a problem with that program.
> > Can you check whether ssh-agent is running for this user account?
>
> No, it's not running.  I never dealt with that program before actually
> and didn't even know it exists, which makes me assume it's not needed.

*If* an agent is available, the ssh binary will attempt to use it instead of
accessing the key material directly.  However, using keys does not require an
agent to be running.  I generally have an agent running, but when that setup
is not working properly, I get a prompt to enter the key passphrase, rather
than a password prompt.

I don't have time to troubleshoot this right now.  If you use the sftp/ssh
command, are you correctly asked for the passphrase for the key?  If not, you
key ID may be getting rejected by the server.  If you are asked to unlock the
key from the command-line, it sounds like an issue with Dolphin not
interfacing with ssh properly.  In that case, a bug seems appropriate.
bss at iguanasuicide.net            	((_/)o o(\_))