Dolphin and ssh keys in KDE 4.4

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Jan 26 18:51:20 GMT 2010

On Tuesday, 2010-01-26, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 01/26/2010 10:47 AM, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Tuesday, 2010-01-26, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> >> In KDE 4.3.x, when I opened an sftp location in Dolphin, it would read
> >> my ssh key (stored in my ~/.ssh/ directory) and would not ask for a
> >> password.  After updating to 4.4 RC1 (and now RC2), this doesn't happen
> >> anymore.  Dolphin seems to read hostnames from ~/.ssh/config just fine,
> >> but it keeps asking me for a password instead of using my ssh key (the
> >> ssh key itself is not password protected.)
> >>
> >> Is this a bug or did something change in KDE 4.4?  The "ssh" and "scp"
> >> commands work fine.  My ~/.ssh/config has this:
> >>
> >>     Host myserv
> >>     User realnc
> >>     HostName foo.bar.baz.co.uk
> >>     IdentityFile ~/.ssh/identity_myserv
> >>
> >> Dolphin is able to figure out that "sftp://myserv" means
> >> "sftp://realnc@foo.bar.baz.co.uk" (that means the "Host" and "User"
> >> fields of the config file have effect) but it just won't use my
> >> ~/.ssh/identity_myserv key and will ask for realnc at myserv's password
> >> instead.
> >
> > Maybe this needs ssh-agent and there is a problem with that program.
> > Can you check whether ssh-agent is running for this user account?
>
> No, it's not running.  I never dealt with that program before actually
> and didn't even know it exists, which makes me assume it's not needed.

Hmm, interesting.
It is one of the programs launched with my session as part of the setup
prepared by my distributor and I know I need it for automatic key usage on the
shell.
Which is why I thought it might be needed for automatic key usage in KDE as
well.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring