Canonical trying to kill KDE?? - Fwd: Attend CampKDE... via ... (VOIP), BerkeleyTIP - Re: Request to mailing list kubuntu-users rejected

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. bss at iguanasuicide.net
Mon Jan 18 16:59:58 GMT 2010

On Monday 18 January 2010 06:05:37 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > Breaching a user account is getting the password.
>
> No.

Agreed.

> Maybe the word "breach" specifically refers to gaining one's
> password (my English is not that strong) but as I understand the term
> Breach to mean "to gain access" that does not imply that the password
> is compromised.

As a native speaker of American English (Southern Dialect), I would not
consider "breach" to imply the user password has been compromised.

If there was a JS bug in FF that caused my personal data (e.g. my
.bash_history) to be accessed from some untrusted website without my
permission or knowledge, I would consider it a breach of the user account.

If there was a JS bug in FF that caused arbitrary code execution as the user
running FF thus turning my Debian system into a zombie node, I would consider
it a breach of the user account.

In neither of these cases can the attacker retrieve my user password.
bss at iguanasuicide.net            	((_/)o o(\_))