lost my connection to addressbook

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 16 16:49:17 GMT 2010

On Saturday 16 January 2010 16:21:24 Gracia M. Littauer wrote:
> On Saturday 16 January 2010 04:28:50 am Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Friday 15 January 2010 20:59:07 Gracia M. Littauer wrote:
> > > I was in <distribution lists> in kaddressbook, I think, & closed it
> > > yesterday. Today it looks like there is nothing  in my kaddtessbook,
> > > BUT I see all the files in .kde/share/apps/kabc & it will add some
> > > addresses to my email

First, suggested addresses in an email are not coming from your addressbook,
but are stored in ~/.kde/share/config/kmailrc under a section called Recent
Addresses.

> > > so I know there are addresses in the kabc file
> > > which looks very muck like a backup file. It looks to me as if kmail
> > > can't talk (properly) to kaddressbook & is finding strang address to
> > > add when I put a letter into the To: line.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions on how to fix it without losing all my addresses ;^( ??
> >
> > Since we are at the point when big changes are occurring, we need to know
> > the distro, KDE version and addressbook version - otherwise you are
> > likely to get bad advice :-)
>
> oops, sorry:
> Zenwalk -distro; KDE 4.2.4; Kaddressbook 4.1
>
> when I looked at .kde/share/kabc/ & .kde/share/kaddressbook/in both backup
> & current one, the files are all there & look the same.

The first thing to try, is to close kontact and launch kaddressbook as a
stand-alone.  It sometimes happens that this can spot and fix a fault.
Otherwise....

I don't know Zenwalk at all, but your KDE and addressbook versions should be
enough for now.  In ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc/ you should have std.vcf, which is
your addressbook.  std.vcf_1 etc are backup files.

I'm not using that version of addressbook at the moment, so this is from
memory.  When you open the Contact page from kontact or launch kaddressbook
from the command line there should be, at the bottom left, a place where you
can add an addressbook.  You may have to do it from a +. or it may be from a
right-click menu.  If you can see one addressbook already, try to turn it off,
then add a new one, pointing to ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc/std.vcf.  If this works
you simply had 'lost the connection' and it is now repaired.

If this is a solution, but you have the same problem again you'd be wise to
ask your distro's mailing list, as it certainly isn't normal behaviour.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group