KDE 4.3.4 cannot start

Sagara Wijetunga sagara at tomahawk.com.sg
Sat Jan 9 14:41:32 GMT 2010

James Tyrer wrote:
> Sagara Wijetunga wrote:

>>> I have pre installed what is mentioned in the
>>> http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4/LFS, others
>>> installed as when needed when compiling KDE. What is not installed in
>>> what you mentioned are only cpptoxml, tapioca-qt and telepathy-qt.
>>> They were not mentioned at the cmake stage yet.
>>>
>>> I have found why /usr/bin/kdostartupconfig4 fails.
>>>
>>> /usr/bin/kdostartupconfig4
>>> kdostartupconfig4(12560) main: Running kdostartupconfig.
>>> kdostartupconfig4(12560) main:
>>> "/root/.kde/share/config/startupconfigkeys"
>>> echo $?
>>> 3
>>> ls -l /root/.kde/share/config/startupconfigkeys
>>> ls: /root/.kde/share/config/startupconfigkeys: No such file or directory
>>>
>>> ls -l /root/.kde4/share/config/startupconfigkeys
>>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 371 Jan 8 12:49
>>> /root/.kde4/share/config/startupconfigkeys
>>>
>>> So the file path specified is wrong:
>>>
>>> QString keysname = KStandardDirs::locateLocal( "config",
>>> "startupconfigkeys" );
>>> QFile keys( keysname );
>>> if( !keys.open( QIODevice::ReadOnly ))
>>>    return 3;
>>>
>>> Now the question is what environment variable provides .kde4 instead
>>> .kde?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Sagara
>>>

>> I have another update.
>>
>> I made a small change in my /etc/profile.d/kde4.sh:
>> - KDEHOME=$HOME/.kde4
>> + KDEHOME=$HOME/.kde
>>
>> Now startx does not pop with kstartupconfig4 issue and it continue. I
>> get a very nice graphical screen, hard disk icon come first, I get some
>> more icons, and I finally get the KDE logo and then run for a while and
>> plasma-desktop crashes.
>>

> Do you have a file: "$HOME/.config/menus/applications-kmenuedit.menu"?

No, I have only following:
.config/Trolltech.conf

>> The startkde issues following errors:
>> kbuildsycoca4(1388) VFolderMenu::pushDocInfo: Menu
>> "applications-kmenuedit.menu" not found.
>>
>> kio_file(1406) kdemain: Starting  1406
>> kio_file(1406) FileProtocol::copy: copy():
>> KUrl("file:///root/.kde/share/config/plasmarc")  ->
>> KUrl("file:///root/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktoprc") , mode= -1
>>

> Why is it looking for stuff in "/root"?
>
> <SNIP>

All the while I was running startkde under root.

Now I ran startkde as a test user. The plasma-desktop still crashes but
system status is very different.

When I was under root, the system load goes up to 2.5 and the interrupt
CPU state goes to 85%. But as a normal user, the system load is 0.12 and
interrupt CPU state is around 33%, though it is still very high.

Under root, its only plasma-desktop crashes, but under the normal user,
I have plasma-desktop.core and plasma-to-plasma-de.core.

Under both root and normal user, when this crash happens no user can
login via ssh.

Regards
Sagara