KDE 4.3.4 cannot start

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 9 09:56:04 GMT 2010

Sagara Wijetunga wrote:
> James Tyrer wrote:
>>> I have found an error, some important variables mentioned in
>>> http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4.x were not set
>>> properly.
>>>
>> Could you please be more specific?  Or, was it just that you needed to
>> set them to different values because things were installed different
>> places on your system?
>>

> No, certain variables such as XDG_DATA_HOME and XDG_CONFIG_HOME were not
> set at all. They are at a different location in
> http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4.x page, not under
> "Switching to KDE-4". export QTDIR was missed.

In both cases, it was intentional.  There is no need to set the default
paths for XDG_DATA_HOME and XDG_CONFIG_HOME.  They are included in the
"$HOME/.bash_profile" file for the KDE-4 user only to override any
possible settings elsewhere on the system.  I did not include "export
QTDIR" because it is needed only to compile against Qt libraries, not to
run application compiled against them.

However, I should have added some comment about both issues (and I have).

That would be KDEHOME.
--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch