KDE 4.3.4 cannot start

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Jan 8 10:18:53 GMT 2010

James Tyrer posted on Thu, 07 Jan 2010 11:39:58 -0700 as excerpted:

> I still think that you should install KDESupport.  It installs these
> packages:
>
> akonadi
> automoc
> cpptoxml
> decibel
> phonon
> polkit-qt
> qimageblitz
> soprano
> strigi
> taglib
> taglib-extras
> tapioca-qt
> telepathy-qt
>
> I specifically note "polkit-qt" which might be your specific problem.
>
> Before you install Qt-4, you need to install:
>
> DBus
> DBus-Glib
> HAL
> HAL-Info
> PolicyKit
> EggDBus
> polkit
> ConsoleKit
>
> and the file: "/etc/dbus-1/session-local.conf" might need "servicedir"s
> added.

Actually, policykit isn't a hard kde4 dependency, it's quite optional.  I
don't have it installed here.  On Gentoo, of the packages I have
installed, hal and pykde4 have the policykit USE flag, but I have it off,
so they're built without that support.  Other packages that have that USE
flag include gnome-system-tools, system-tools-bakcends, gnome-session,
gnome-lirc-properties, gnome-power-manager, hplip, and consolekit
(another optional dependency, as should be obvious given I'm running
kde4, since I mention it in the other, not the installed, packages).

Yet another kde4 optional is eggdbus, which I don't believe I'd ever
heard of until now.

dbus is mandatory AFAIK, as it has now replaced kde3's dcop as the kde
system message bus -- dbus being the standard where dcop was kde-
specific.  Hal, I'm honestly not sure.  I have the hal USE flag set, but
I don't remember if it was a required kde dependency or if I just liked
the idea of X input hotplugging, etc.  Supporting those are dbus-glib and
hal-info, both of which I have installed as well.