KDE 4.3.4 cannot start

Sagara Wijetunga sagara at tomahawk.com.sg
Fri Jan 8 05:47:37 GMT 2010

James Tyrer wrote:

>> I have found an error, some important variables mentioned in
>> http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4.x were not set
>> properly.
>>

> Could you please be more specific?  Or, was it just that you needed to
> set them to different values because things were installed different
> places on your system?

No, certain variables such as XDG_DATA_HOME and XDG_CONFIG_HOME were not
set at all. They are at a different location in
http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4.x page, not under
"Switching to KDE-4". export QTDIR was missed.

>> I have fixed it and then ran startkde, now it complain following:
>> **
>> kstartupconfig4 does not exist or failed. The error code is 3. Check
>> your installation.
>>
>> kstartupconfig4 exists:
>> type kstartupconfig4
>> kstartupconfig4 is /usr/bin/kstartupconfig4
>>
>> I have Google searched on kstartupconfig4 issue, but still could not
>> find a proper fix, any idea to share?
>>

> I still think that you should install KDESupport.  It installs these
> packages:
>
> akonadi
> automoc
> cpptoxml
> decibel
> phonon
> polkit-qt
> qimageblitz
> soprano
> strigi
> taglib
> taglib-extras
> tapioca-qt
> telepathy-qt
>
> I specifically note "polkit-qt" which might be your specific problem.
>
> Before you install Qt-4, you need to install:
>
> DBus
> DBus-Glib
> HAL
> HAL-Info
> PolicyKit
> EggDBus
> polkit
> ConsoleKit
>
> and the file: "/etc/dbus-1/session-local.conf" might need "servicedir"s
> added.
>
> You also need to install "qca" (after you install Qt)
>
> The other stuff listed:
>
> http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4/LFS
>
> might not be needed for KDE 4 to start, but they are dependencies and
> you should install them.

I have pre installed what is mentioned in the
http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4/LFS, others installed
as when needed when compiling KDE. What is not installed in what you
mentioned are only cpptoxml, tapioca-qt and telepathy-qt. They were not
mentioned at the cmake stage yet.

I have found why /usr/bin/kdostartupconfig4 fails.

/usr/bin/kdostartupconfig4
kdostartupconfig4(12560) main: Running kdostartupconfig.
kdostartupconfig4(12560) main: "/root/.kde/share/config/startupconfigkeys"
echo $?
3
ls -l /root/.kde/share/config/startupconfigkeys
ls: /root/.kde/share/config/startupconfigkeys: No such file or directory

ls -l /root/.kde4/share/config/startupconfigkeys
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 371 Jan 8 12:49
/root/.kde4/share/config/startupconfigkeys

So the file path specified is wrong:

QString keysname = KStandardDirs::locateLocal( "config", "startupconfigkeys" );
QFile keys( keysname );
if( !keys.open( QIODevice::ReadOnly ))
    return 3;

Now the question is what environment variable provides .kde4 instead .kde?

Regards
Sagara