KDE 4.3.4 cannot start

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 7 18:39:58 GMT 2010

Sagara Wijetunga wrote:
> James Tyrer wrote:
>> Sagara Wijetunga wrote:

>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Thanks for the reply.
>>>
>>> Tomahawk Desktop is very similar to LFS, therefore, I followed the
>>> http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4/LFS and
>>> http://cblfs.cross-lfs.org/index.php/KDE4.
>>>
>>> I did not install KDESupport but installed "KDE4 Support" components
>>> of the http://cblfs.cross-lfs.org/index.php/KDE4 and installed "KDE
>>> Core Packages" and then tried the startkde.
>>>

>> I wasn't really able to determine from you error logs, exactly why it
>> failed to start up.  This isn't that simple since there are errors even
>> if it starts OK.
>>
>> There does appear to be an issue with Python and Glib that you should
>> look into, but I doubt that this is the cause of the KDE problem --
>> configure, build, & install "glib-2" & "pygobject" again and see if that
>> fixes it.
>>
>> However, these instructions are wrong:
>>
>> http://cblfs.cross-lfs.org/index.php/Starting_KDE
>>
>> I suggest that you try this for your ~/.xinitrc file:
>>
>> ------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------
>>
>> eval `dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session`
>>
>> exec startkde
>>
>> ------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------
>>
>> If you still have problems, try this command:
>>
>> 	startx > Xuser.log 2>&1
>>
>> and see if it was an X error that caused termination.
>>

> The Python issue was known and seems harmless.
>
> I have found an error, some important variables mentioned in
> http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4.x were not set
> properly.

Could you please be more specific?  Or, was it just that you needed to
set them to different values because things were installed different
places on your system?

> I have fixed it and then ran startkde, now it complain following:
> **
> kstartupconfig4 does not exist or failed. The error code is 3. Check
> your installation.
>
> kstartupconfig4 exists:
> type kstartupconfig4
> kstartupconfig4 is /usr/bin/kstartupconfig4
>
> I have Google searched on kstartupconfig4 issue, but still could not
> find a proper fix, any idea to share?

I still think that you should install KDESupport.  It installs these
packages:

akonadi
automoc
cpptoxml
decibel
phonon
polkit-qt
qimageblitz
soprano
strigi
taglib
taglib-extras
tapioca-qt
telepathy-qt

I specifically note "polkit-qt" which might be your specific problem.

Before you install Qt-4, you need to install:

DBus
DBus-Glib
HAL
HAL-Info
PolicyKit
EggDBus
polkit
ConsoleKit

and the file: "/etc/dbus-1/session-local.conf" might need "servicedir"s
added.

You also need to install "qca" (after you install Qt)

The other stuff listed:

http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4/LFS

might not be needed for KDE 4 to start, but they are dependencies and
you should install them.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch