KDE 4.3.4 cannot start

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 6 23:07:26 GMT 2010

Sagara Wijetunga wrote:
> James Tyrer wrote:
>> Sagara Wijetunga wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> I have compiled only following KDE components from sources on
>>> Tomahawk Desktop (which is based on FreeBSD 7.2):
>>> Oxygen-Icons-4.3.4 kdelibs-4.3.4 KdeLibs-experimental-4.3.4
>>> KdePimLibs-4.3.4 kdebase-workspace-4.3.4 KdeBase-4.3.4
>>> kdebase-runtime-4.3.4
>>>

>> Please read the instruction:
>>
>> http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4.x
>>
>> and check the required packages:
>>
>> http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4/LFS
>>
>> Specifically, you need to either install KDESupport or the binaries
>> for all of the packages which it contains before you build KDELibs.
>>

>> If this doesn't answer your problem, get back to us.
>>

> Hi
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Tomahawk Desktop is very similar to LFS, therefore, I followed the
> http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4/LFS and
> http://cblfs.cross-lfs.org/index.php/KDE4.
>
> I did not install KDESupport but installed "KDE4 Support" components
> of the http://cblfs.cross-lfs.org/index.php/KDE4 and installed "KDE
> Core Packages" and then tried the startkde.

I wasn't really able to determine from you error logs, exactly why it
failed to start up.  This isn't that simple since there are errors even
if it starts OK.

There does appear to be an issue with Python and Glib that you should
look into, but I doubt that this is the cause of the KDE problem --
configure, build, & install "glib-2" & "pygobject" again and see if that
fixes it.

However, these instructions are wrong:

http://cblfs.cross-lfs.org/index.php/Starting_KDE

I suggest that you try this for your ~/.xinitrc file:

eval `dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session`

exec startkde

If you still have problems, try this command:

	startx > Xuser.log 2>&1

and see if it was an X error that caused termination.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch