undefined mimetype/servicetype

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 28 00:14:20 GMT 2010

Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Friday, 2010-02-26, James Tyrer wrote:
>> When I run: "kbuildsycoca4, I get a lot of messages like this one:
>>
>> kbuildsycoca4(23600) KBuildServiceFactory::populateServiceTypes:
>> "/usr/share/applications/gxine.desktop" specifies undefined
>> mimetype/servicetype "image/x-png"
>>
>> Before I file new bugs to replace 73837, which was swept under the rug,
>> I wanted to know exactly what this means.  I presume that it means that
>> there is no listing for this MIME type either as a file in:
>>
>> 	$KDEDIR/share/mime/image/
>>
>> or as an entry in the file:
>>
>> 	$KDEDIR/share/mime/aliases
>>
>> In that case, I would presume that in cases where it is redundant, which
>> is the case here, that it should be added to the: "aliases" file.
>
> I don't think this has anything to do with KDE in this case.
> KDE, like other free software projects, have consolidated their MIME type
> handling to the shared mime info project's data.
>
> If it does not contain image/x-png it is likely that this is not an official
> MIME type.

Obviously, this is not an official MIME type since it starts with: "X".
  It appears to me that it is a legacy usage from before there was an
official MIME type for PNG.

So, we should consider some better examples.

> In which case the two correct solutions would be to either remove it from the
> application's desktop file (or replace it with the real one, image/png) or
> have the application install the MIME type/alias.
>
> Another option would be to file an extension request at the shared mime data
> project in case this alias is widely used and has been overlooked when
> creating the data set.

Wonder that they think about the legacy MIME type issue.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch