undefined mimetype/servicetype

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Feb 26 12:50:15 GMT 2010

On Friday, 2010-02-26, James Tyrer wrote:
> When I run: "kbuildsycoca4, I get a lot of messages like this one:
>
> kbuildsycoca4(23600) KBuildServiceFactory::populateServiceTypes:
> "/usr/share/applications/gxine.desktop" specifies undefined
> mimetype/servicetype "image/x-png"
>
> Before I file new bugs to replace 73837, which was swept under the rug,
> I wanted to know exactly what this means.  I presume that it means that
> there is no listing for this MIME type either as a file in:
>
> 	$KDEDIR/share/mime/image/
>
> or as an entry in the file:
>
> 	$KDEDIR/share/mime/aliases
>
> In that case, I would presume that in cases where it is redundant, which
> is the case here, that it should be added to the: "aliases" file.

I don't think this has anything to do with KDE in this case.
KDE, like other free software projects, have consolidated their MIME type
handling to the shared mime info project's data.

If it does not contain image/x-png it is likely that this is not an official
MIME type.

In which case the two correct solutions would be to either remove it from the
application's desktop file (or replace it with the real one, image/png) or
have the application install the MIME type/alias.

Another option would be to file an extension request at the shared mime data
project in case this alias is widely used and has been overlooked when
creating the data set.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring