Anyway to disable the slide effect for plasma pop-ups?

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Tue Feb 23 19:30:30 GMT 2010

On 02/23/2010 07:55 PM, Duncan wrote:
> Nikos Chantziaras posted on Tue, 23 Feb 2010 19:24:12 +0200 as excerpted:
>
>> I there a way to disable the slide effect when you click on stuff like
>> the K menu and the clock on panels?  I find it pretty annoying.  I want
>> the fade effect.  It seems when I click on the analog clock on my
>> desktop, the calender fades-in.  When I click on the digital clock on my
>> bottom panel (where the taskbar is), I get the slide effect.  I want the
>> fade effect for everything.
>
> I'm not sure about this as I've not tested it, but I think that might be
> what the resolution and cpu usage control does on kde 4.4, kcontrol (aka
> system settings, even tho it's kde settings not system settings and system
> settings is too generic a name to be useful, so the old kcontrol name was
> better and more accurate), look and feel, appearance, style, fine tuning
> tab.

Nope, unfortunately it doesn't seem to do anything.  And in case this
controls the Qt style (like Oxygen).  Plasma doesn't use Qt widget
styles, it seems to have its own style.

> But that tab is new to kde4.4 I believe.  I don't know where the same
> thing would be set in 4.3 or earlier.  And it's a general animations
> control, I know of no way to set slide vs fade, except for the general
> window effects (not plasma components), on the look and feel, desktop,
> desktop effects, all effects tab.  So even if you're on 4.4 and I'm
> guessing correctly, I don't believe you can choose plasma fade vs slide,
> unless that happens to be a difference hidden behind the covers in one of
> the style, fine tuning settings.

I'm on 4.4.0.  IIRC, 4.3.x (4.3.4) didn't have the slide effect (don't
know about 4.3.5).  I only got it when I upgraded to 4.4.0.