Anyway to disable the slide effect for plasma pop-ups?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Feb 23 17:55:13 GMT 2010

Nikos Chantziaras posted on Tue, 23 Feb 2010 19:24:12 +0200 as excerpted:

> I there a way to disable the slide effect when you click on stuff like
> the K menu and the clock on panels?  I find it pretty annoying.  I want
> the fade effect.  It seems when I click on the analog clock on my
> desktop, the calender fades-in.  When I click on the digital clock on my
> bottom panel (where the taskbar is), I get the slide effect.  I want the
> fade effect for everything.

I'm not sure about this as I've not tested it, but I think that might be
what the resolution and cpu usage control does on kde 4.4, kcontrol (aka
system settings, even tho it's kde settings not system settings and system
settings is too generic a name to be useful, so the old kcontrol name was
better and more accurate), look and feel, appearance, style, fine tuning
tab.

I've played with that a bit but couldn't figure out what it did.  However,
the help says it controls internal animations, so I'd guess it controls
such things as the kickoff slide effect, etc.

But that tab is new to kde4.4 I believe.  I don't know where the same
thing would be set in 4.3 or earlier.  And it's a general animations
control, I know of no way to set slide vs fade, except for the general
window effects (not plasma components), on the look and feel, desktop,
desktop effects, all effects tab.  So even if you're on 4.4 and I'm
guessing correctly, I don't believe you can choose plasma fade vs slide,
unless that happens to be a difference hidden behind the covers in one of
the style, fine tuning settings.