KDE4.4 breaks pulseaudio sound

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 19 01:21:28 GMT 2010

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 18 February 2010 15:16:08 paulo wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just installed kde4.4, and I have absolutely no sound from kde.
>> Kmix, amarok, etc, (basically all apps that use phonon) break on
>> startup. Actually they don't even start. Even system settings will
>> lock when I try to access the sound settings.
>>
>> However the sound still works. For example, I can use mplayer a
>> select alsa directly (with the -ao foo).
>>
>> So this seems to be a pulseaudio bug.
>>
>> Solutions? Anyone working on this?
>>
> PA works perfectly here.

Does that really help?  What version do you have installed?

> I presume that you have fully updated?  What is the backend setting
> in SystemSettings > Multimedia?

Does PulseAudio show up in your "Backend" list?  All that I have ever
had there is: "Xine" & "Gstreamer".  PulseAudio was in the other list:
"Device Preference" but it has now gone missing -- ESD isn't there either.

Do you know what changes were made from KDE-4.3 to KDE-4.4? or how
KDE-4.4 finds these options?

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch