[kde] Phonon-4.4; KDESupport-4.4

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Feb 15 13:04:58 GMT 2010

On Sunday, 2010-02-14, James Tyrer wrote:

> You now get Phonon-4.4 when you checkout: "/tags/kdesupport-for-4.4".
> Although I should note that it appears that it is only the first Beta,
> since someone was concerned about having a stable version.  This doesn't
> seem exactly the best that the new release of KDE-4.4.0 should be
> dependent on a Phonon Beta, but that is the way it is.  I hope that it
> will be updated in SVN although it is a TAG when it should be a BRANCH.

KDE is branched before release (I think at RC1).
kdesupport is like an external repository, each maintainer can tag and branch
their software as they seem fit, e.g. see Akonadi.
During development KDE sometimes depends on unreleased features of such
software, but each release depends on released versions.

The tag "kdesupport-for-x.y" is basically a convenience handle for each such
release, however some of the external software maintainers might not have
adjusted the tag for their respective release yet after somebody created the
tag based on best-guess.

> I don't think that this needed information is being deliberately kept
> secret, but the result is the same.  What is the point of releasing
> tarballs of the code if it isn't possible for users to build them.

Just ot be sure: did you check that you have the correct tarballs of the
software hosted in kdesupport, e.g.  akonadi-1.3.1.tar.bz2 for the latest
Akonadi release?

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring