kde 3, 4, 4.5[?] How to install to kde 4 (or newer)?

Erik Ohls eohls at welho.com
Sun Feb 14 01:17:40 GMT 2010

Sunday 14 February 2010 02:24:08 skrev Felix Miata:
> On 2010/02/13 18:16 (GMT-0500) hud ramelan composed:
> > I have been running PCLINUXOS 2009 for the past few weeks with kde 3
> > packaged with it.  I have noticed that kde has advanced to kde 4 or 4.5
> > and that kde 3 is somewhat outdated.
>
> If you look in the archives of this list and those of the popular distros
> that include KDE that there is a huge constituency of KDE3 users who have
> tried KDE4 and switched back. Before "upgrading" to KDE4, you should make
> sure you're familiar enough with KDE3 to know what you're giving up if you
> switch. KDE4 is a ground up rewrite that even at v4.4 still lacks some
> features that KDE3 included.
>
> That said, you need not delete KDE3 in order to have KDE4. There's a login
> manager menu that allows you to choose session type, which means you can
> install KDE3, KDE4, Gnome, XFCE, LXDE and/or several others, and choose
>  among any of them when logging in each time.

This is not quite true in PCLinuxOS. You can have any number of desktop
environments installed at the same time to choose from at login -- with the
exception of KDE3 and KDE4. There it's either one or the other -- unless you
are willing to do quite a lot of tweaking.

On the other hand upgrading to KDE4 is fast and easy if you follow the
instructions on the PCLOS forum. Waiting a couple of days might be a good idea
though: PCLinuxOS 2010 is expected very soon.