Uploading files or downloading files causes crashing.

Sue Harris sueharris59 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 10 20:33:55 GMT 2010

Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 10:00:57 +0000
From: Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>
Subject: Re: [kde] Uploading files or downloading files causes crashing.

It's impossible to guess where your problem is from the information you've
given us.  Certainly this is not a common problem, although your statement
that behaviour changed on a specific date does point to the likelihood of an
update causing the problem.  First, some questions.

What distro do you use?

What KDE version?  (in konsole, run 'rpm -qa kdebase-workspace')

What version of Firefox are you using?

Do you have any Firefox extensions installed?  If so, disable all of them and
try again.  It is possible that one extension is incompatible with an updated
Firefox.

Leave Konqueror out of the equation for now.  It sounds like a different
problem, to me.  Let's try to get one browser working as you want it first.

Anne

---------------
Hi Anne,

I am using ArkLinux.
My Linux Version is:
Ark Linux - Home (2008.1-0.dockyard20080514.1ark)
I am running kernel: Kernel 2.6.25.3-1arksmp on  i686

KDE Release 3.5.9-3ark
Konsole 1.6.6
Firefox version 2.0.0.14  As you can see, it hasn't been updated in a long time.
Extensions: These are the ones I found:

AMAZING Sorority Life Toolbar 2.3.0.4   : Uninstalled it.   (But it wasn't new. It had been there a long time.)
DOM Inspector 1.8.1.14   : Disabled it.
FlashGot 1.2.1.10    : Disabled it.    (Version 1.2.1.13 is available. Should I install that one?)

Then Firefox needs to be restarted for the changes to the Extensions to be effective. So I rebooted the computer. Then I went to Firefox.com to try to download the newest version: 3.6.
I clicked on the green button that brings up the dialog box: Opening firefox-3.6.tar.bz2:   What should Firefox do with this file?
I selected:  Save to Disk. As soon as I click on [OK] Firefox crashes.

In the past some websites wouldn't play video and they told me that I don't have the most updated version of Flash. Could this have something to do with it? I had tried (months ago) to download the new version, but when I get the file on the desktop, I don't know what to do with it to install it.

Or could Firefox crashing be a virus?

Thanks,
Sue