"Adjust Date and Time" does not allow me to save the configuration

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Sat Feb 6 00:02:55 GMT 2010

On 02/05/2010 04:37 PM, Duncan wrote:
> Nikos Chantziaras posted on Fri, 05 Feb 2010 10:07:34 +0200 as excerpted:
>
>> KDE 4.4 RC3.  When I try to configure the clock (by right-clicking on a
>> clock widget and selecting "Adjust Date and Time"), I can't save any
>> changes I make.  I'm told that I'm not allowed to save the
>> configuration.  Sad thing is, I'm not even told why I'm not allowed to
>> save.
>>
>> How do I fix that?
>
> Presumably you're running as an ordinary user, and you need to be root to
> set the system clock.

I have to login to KDE as root?

> In theory, it should be tied into the policykit stuff I'd guess, but
> perhaps you disabled that while compiling?  Or maybe it isn't all hooked
> up correctly for that yet?

I don't have policykit installed.  Is that needed for clock settings?

> If you need to set it from the command line interface (in konsole, or
> whatever), try running the date command as root.  "man date" should give
> you more information if necessary, but it's basically date MMDDhhmm[.ss].
> Setting the timezone is normally done by changing /etc/timezone as
> appropriate, or something similar depending on your distribution.

No, I want to set it through KDE where I also can select to get the time
from pool.ntp.org.  The "date" tool is ugly and does not support NTP
servers.

Or maybe I should reword it: I want to have a functional system that can
do what it says it can do :P  So I'm not asking for help about how to
change my system's clock.  I'm asking for help getting KDE to do what it
claims it can do.