"Adjust Date and Time" does not allow me to save the configuration

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Feb 5 14:37:16 GMT 2010

Nikos Chantziaras posted on Fri, 05 Feb 2010 10:07:34 +0200 as excerpted:

> KDE 4.4 RC3.  When I try to configure the clock (by right-clicking on a
> clock widget and selecting "Adjust Date and Time"), I can't save any
> changes I make.  I'm told that I'm not allowed to save the
> configuration.  Sad thing is, I'm not even told why I'm not allowed to
> save.
>
> How do I fix that?

Presumably you're running as an ordinary user, and you need to be root to
set the system clock.

In theory, it should be tied into the policykit stuff I'd guess, but
perhaps you disabled that while compiling?  Or maybe it isn't all hooked
up correctly for that yet?

If you need to set it from the command line interface (in konsole, or
whatever), try running the date command as root.  "man date" should give
you more information if necessary, but it's basically date MMDDhhmm[.ss].
Setting the timezone is normally done by changing /etc/timezone as
appropriate, or something similar depending on your distribution.

Me?  I don't want my X/KDE/normal user to be able to set the time anyway.
That's for root to worry about (and on my main machine, is auto-synced
using ntpd anyway).  So if I suddenly was able to do it using kde without
it prompting for the root password, I'd just as suddenly be opening a bug
about it!