favicons in Konqueror

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Thu Dec 23 17:18:58 GMT 2010

Am Donnerstag, 23. Dezember 2010 schrieb Duncan:
> Martin \(KDE\) posted on Thu, 23 Dec 2010 14:41:12 +0100 as
excerpted:
> > So maybe it is time to check if a fresh user has the same
> > problems. My .kde folder is basically 10 years old.
>
> =:^)  Mine too, tho I've gone thru and cleaned it up from time to
> time. Yes, the fresh-user thing's a very good idea to try.

With a fresh user I got different problems. Seems to be very broken
the favicon stuff in konqui.

> Meanwhile, that you can see the favicons reappear in the cache when
> you visit the page again, but konqueror fails to display them,
> sounds to me like it might be one of two things, either something
> related to the recent image-cache (graphics not browser related)
> issues in early kde-4.5 that were at least partially fixed in
> 4.5.3 and 4.5.4, or some other sort of race condition, where
> konqueror tries to display the icon before it's actually there,
> and then doesn't try again after it's in the cache.
>
> I'd try the fresh user thing, and then check bugzilla for related
> bugs, too.

There is a bug there (153049) and it pretty describes my problems with
favicons. If a favicon is not in the bookmark list it shows up fine,
otherwise sometimes it shows, sometimes not. In the bookmarklist
favicons are visible sometimes only if the mouse is over the icon,
sometimes it is only visible if the mouse is not above the icon.

> As I said, I'm running 4.5.4 here too, on Gentoo, and haven't
> noticed the issue, so it doesn't appear to be hitting everyone.
> Hopefully it's something in your local user config and you can
> resolve it there.

As long as you don't delete icons from your favicon cache you will not
notice it.

Martin