Konqueror/Dolphin file managers very unstable

John Layt johnlayt at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 8 01:23:28 GMT 2010

On Wednesday 08 December 2010 00:16:49 Duncan wrote:
> Jerome Yuzyk posted on Tue, 07 Dec 2010 14:59:14 -0700 as excerpted:
> > I've always liked Konqueror's file manager, but it's been completely
> > unstable ever since I moved to KDE4. Many operations seem to hang doing
> > nothing and then suddenly wake up. Crashes are routine. I switched to
> > Dolphin, thinking Konq had been abandoned, but it's not a lot better.
> > File previews are 50/50 whether they'll show or just spin.
> >
> > Right now I'm on KDE 4.5.3, Fedora 13. Nothing else misbehaves like
> > these two apps, so maybe there's some kind of cache corruption I should
> > clear out or setting(s) I should avoid?
>
> FWIW, it's not a big surprise that dolphin exhibits the same issues, as
> the konqueror file-manager mode now uses the dolphin kpart, which is
> apparently what's unstable for you, so switching from konqueror to dolphin
> didn't remove the unstable component from your test.

Correct

> You can also consider installing krusader (which I've read about
> but don't use personally), tho I'm not sure if it uses the same dolphin
> file-management kpart or not -- it's likely it does.

Krusader is an old-skool twin pane manager a-la mc and most definitely doesn't
use the same kpart, but also doesn't do pretty thumbnails.

> FWIW (2), I've not experienced any such unstability here on Gentoo, since
> quite earlier in the kde4 cycle (4.2 or 4.3 era, maybe).  I AM seeing
> issues with thumbnail generation on video files, which seems hit or miss,
> but not on still jpeg or other image formats, or on text/pdf/html/fonts/
> etc.

No problems here either, which makes me suspect the thumbnail/preview plugin
being used which I did have problems with in the past.  I _think_ that the
default one shipped with dolphin is fairly basic and doesn't do video, so
there are a number of plugins out there that do the video that his distro may
have shipped with, like mplayerthumbs.  First try disabling video
thumbs/previews, then try uninstalling whatever plugin is installed.  If that
doesn't work raise a bug :-)

Oh, one other debugging technique, try logging in as a new user first and see
if they have the same problems.  If not, then you know it's your config and
not the app.

John.