DPMS not working in 4.5

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Aug 28 04:22:19 BST 2010

On Friday, August 27, 2010 10:50:46 pm Shaggy Wolf did opine:

> Hi Gene,
>
> Have you tried using xset? i.e. 'xset -q' to show current settings. To
> set x to shut off your monitor after 10 minutes 'xset dpms 0 0 600'
> should work.

It did not survive the reboot, so I've "xset dpms 250 300 600" and will
test shortly by leaving it alone once I get caught up with the email.

Where, if kde (or the pclos versions of drakex) cannot set for a default,
is there some place in the /etc/X11 tree where I can add or change this so
it works automatically when x is started?

It found this in /etc/X11/*/*
gene at coyote X11]$ grep dpms */*
app-defaults/XScreenSaver:*dpmsEnabled:         True
app-defaults/XScreenSaver:*dpmsStandby:         2:00:00
app-defaults/XScreenSaver:*dpmsSuspend:         2:00:00
app-defaults/XScreenSaver:*dpmsOff:             4:00:00

Is this not working because I'm using a kde screenblanker as opposed to the
x screenblanker, and if so, how is this changed?  This is kde-4.5.0.

The above file does control it, except nothing happens for Standby or
Suspend, but it does go off now, 6 seconds after the dpmsOff time.

However, that file said it was enabled, but it actually wasn't until I ran
the "xset +dpms" command.  So I guess now the question is where can I put a
line in the x startup that enables this.  Bearing in mind that the
Xorg.0.log says it is already.

Methinks we have a mild case of too many cooks seasoning this broth. ;-)

Thanks again, Scott.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)