DPMS not working in 4.5

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Aug 28 03:37:36 BST 2010

On Friday, August 27, 2010 10:22:27 pm Shaggy Wolf did opine:

> On Friday, August 27, 2010 07:33:45 gene heskett wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > Running pclos 32 bit on a quad core phenom here.  Currently that
> > includes a kde-4.5.0, but the earlier kde-4.4.5 also failed as below.
> >
> > This problem exists regardless of the video card, I have tried both an
> > ATI HD2400 Pro, and an Nvidia 9400 GT, currently installed and both
> > with and without the binary drivers.
> >
> > I have not been able to make anything in the way of monitor powerdown
> > work.
> >
> > I found in the configure menu's, a place to setup a log file so it
> > would record any actions taken, but in about 36 hours, the log
> > remains at zero bytes.
> >
> > The current power profile is set to 'performance' as the other options
> > all seem to be geared for laptop use where battery life is important.
> >  This machine runs 24/7, so all I really need is monitor controls.
> > Using the clock as a screen blanker after 5 minutes, I would like to
> > have it powered down after 10 minutes.
> >
> > This has been true for a succession of pclos supplied kernels and for
> > several home brewed ones, currently using 2.6.35.3 and about to make a
> > 2.6.35.4.
> >
> > Grepping the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file for DPMS returns:
> > (II) Loading extension DPMS
> > (**) NVIDIA(0): DPMS enabled
> >
> > I found a 'vbetool' utility that can turn it off, but with no way to
> > turn it back on except a reboot, this isn't exactly helpfull, but it
> > does show that it works if the commands are issued I believe.
> >
> > It is possible that I am missing some module required, so what are the
> > minimum modules, or kernel options that must be enabled for DPMS to
> > work?
> >
> > Many thanks for any hints.
>
> Hi Gene,
>
> Have you tried using xset? i.e. 'xset -q' to show current settings. To
> set x to shut off your monitor after 10 minutes 'xset dpms 0 0 600'
> should work.
>
> HTH,
> Scott

Yes it does help Scott, I was not aware of the xset utility, thank you.

xset -q returns this data about things related to this:
Screen Saver:
  prefer blanking:  yes    allow exposures:  yes
  timeout:  0    cycle:  600
DPMS (Energy Star):
  Standby: 1200    Suspend: 1800    Off: 2400
  DPMS is Disabled

I assume those numbers are in seconds, and that, if so, is NOT what the
menu's for that are showing.  Now the 64k$ question is what has disabled
it, given that the Xorg.0.log says it is enabled?  No man page, --help says
a +dpms turns it on, and a subsequent query says:
DPMS (Energy Star):
  Standby: 1200    Suspend: 1800    Off: 2400
  DPMS is Enabled
  Monitor is On

Now, in the -force menu's it outputs for error's, indicates a timeout=0
disables dpms, but from the same query:
Screen Saver:
  prefer blanking:  yes    allow exposures:  yes
  timeout:  0    cycle:  600

So timeout is still 0.  ???

I have a new kernel ready, so I may as well reboot to it and see if this
survives a gracefull reboot from the kde leave menu.

I'll report success/fail before the evening is completely fini.

Thanks again.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)