Kickoff menu blank

dhave dhave at archlinux.us
Sat Aug 14 16:06:18 BST 2010

Duncan wrote:

> I'd try on the arch lists/forums/whatever and see if
I could get a
> comparison run from someone else running your kde
version but with a
> working kickoff.  Also, it'd be best to have as near
to the same config as
> possible, which in practice, means both of you try
the new-user or moved
> ~/.kde trick, so all the plasma applets are default.
By diffing the two
> outputs, you can then eliminate the lines that are
identical between them.

Thanks. Several days ago I posted something on Arch
forum, but nobody has replied, which tells me the
problem must be rare, as the Arch forum is pretty
active and people are eager to help.

> As to whether to file the bug with kde or arch, I
don't know what to tell
> you...  Since it's not the leading edge version,
probably with arch is the
> way to go first.  How long is it likely to be until
an arch 4.5 version is
> available?  If it's only likely to be a week or so,
maybe it's worth
> waiting and trying the 4.5 before bugging.  And if
it's still an issue
> with 4.5, then a direct kde bug is looking more
reasonable.

I imagein the arch 4.5 package will hit the regular
repos in the next two weeks. The response has been
lukewarm in the testing phase, at least judging from
the forum posts I've read, less from obvious bugs to
what many people report as general sluggishness. But
that's another story (and is also a very predictable
response for any new KDE release).

> Oh, and you said you're running 4.4.5 now.  Had you
tried previous 4.4.x
> versions, and did they have the problem?
No, I didn't have the problem previous. Since I'm not
that eager to move up to 4.5, I may even revert to a
previous release and see what happens.

> within the 4.4 stable series, it becomes much more
interesting, because
> they're normally much more cautious with the micro-
versions (4.4.x) than
> with the minor versions (4.x), which means if the
issue was introduced in
> that period, even if it was inadvertently fixed in
4.5, it's worth knowing
> about, to keep a similar thing from happening in the
stable series once
> again.

Interesting. I'd not realized that.

Hey, I really appreciate your help and insight.
Thanks.