Kickoff menu blank

dhave dhave at archlinux.us
Sat Aug 14 06:15:19 BST 2010

Duncan wrote:

> More on the linking idea...
>
> Try this (substituting the path as appropriate)
from
either a text VT or a
> terminal window, konsole, whatever:
>
> ldd /usr/lib64/libkickoff.so

All libraries appear with the associated hex number
other than the two exceptions you noted.

> Meanwhile, I was thinking it might be something
else, perhaps the plasma
> color scheme you're using.

I've tried numerous color schemes to see if that
could
be the problem, but nothing helped.

> > Something else to try.  From a konsole window,
kill the plasma-desktop
> process (killall plasma-desktop is what I use
here).
Then restart it
> (plasma-desktop), so it's dumping STDOUT and STDERR
to your konsole
> window.

Here's my screen output for plasma-desktop:

=== beginning of screen output ===

$ plasma-desktop
QDBusObjectPath: invalid path ""
Connecting to deprecated signal
QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
QDBusObjectPath: invalid path ""
LancelotApplet::init()
ERROR from solid predicate parser: syntax error
ERROR from solid predicate parser: syntax error
QGraphicsLinearLayout::removeAt: invalid index 0
plasma-desktop(6334)/kdecore (KLibrary) kde4Factory:
The library "/usr/lib/kde4/solid_hal_power.so" does
not offer a qt_plugin_instance function.
QObject::connect: Cannot connect (null)::destroyed()
to Plasma::ExtenderItem::sourceAppletRemoved()
QGraphicsLinearLayout::removeAt: invalid index 0
Invalid D-BUS interface name 'org.kde.plasma-
desktop.PlasmaApp' found while parsing introspection
[chas64 at thinkpad ~]$ plasma-desktop(6334):
""CurrencyIntroducedDate" - conversion of "" to QDate
failed" " (wrong format: expected 3 items, got 1)"
plasma-desktop(6334): ""CurrencyIntroducedDate" -
conversion of "" to QDate failed" " (wrong format:
expected 3 items, got 1)"
plasma-desktop(6334): ""CurrencyIntroducedDate" -
conversion of "" to QDate failed" " (wrong format:
expected 3 items, got 1)"
plasma-desktop(6334): ""CurrencyIntroducedDate" -
conversion of "" to QDate failed" " (wrong format:
expected 3 items, got 1)"
QGraphicsLinearLayout::removeAt: invalid index 0
plasma-desktop(6334)/libplasma
Plasma::FrameSvg::resizeFrame: Invalid size QSizeF(0,
0)

=== end of screen output ===

> Here, I get a quite a bit of output, but most of
it's simply status info
> from yawp (yet another weather plasmoid).  If I
didn't have it running,
> the output would be much shorter.  Still, there's
some output other than
> that, even some that looks bad (several of
QFont::setPoinSize: Point size
> <=0 (0), must be greather than 0, for instance, a
null image warning,
> several invalid or negative size warnings, etc),
but
appears not to make a
> whole lot of difference in practice.
>
> Amongst all that apparently nothing to worry about
output, however, you
> may find something indicating or at least hinting
at
the problem.

> When you're thru looking at the output, you will
probably want to close
> that konsole window, instead of using it for other
things, because
> plasma's likely to continue spitting out additional
output as things
> happen, until you close the window, and that'll
screwup the display of
> whatever else you're trying to do in the
window.  So
just use it for that,
> then kill the window when you're done.  (plasma-
desktop should
> automatically disown itself from the konsole
parent,
so you shouldn't have
> to worry about the konsole close killing plasma
again, too.  If perchance
> it does, krunner should still launch (alt-f2 by
default), and you can run
> plasma from there.)

Here's the screen output from running plasma-desktop:

[...]

Sorry about the html posting. I was accessing this
list via a gmail account that I usually read on the
web rather than through a mail or usenet client. I
switched over to knode.

Thanks for all your help. I'm starting to get a
little
hopeful now.

-dhave