System Monitor applets show high CPU when there isn't

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Mon Aug 2 14:51:59 BST 2010

Jerome Yuzyk posted on Sun, 01 Aug 2010 22:42:18 -0600 as excerpted:

> I am running KDE 3.5.10 on Fedora 8.
>
> For a long time I have used the System Monitor and System Guard applets
> for some compact blinkenlights on my system's activity. Recently both
> applets have started showing constant 100% activity all the even though
> the System Guard application (from Ctrl-Esc) shows only 5-10% activity
> when my machine is quiet. I have sat and watched actual CPU activity
> sorted by User or System and never see the activity reported by the
> applets. I use GKrellm and it doesn't show such high usage. I've also
> watched  top  and have seen nothing.
>
> It is as if the scaling function for both applets broke and even
> restarting KDE doesn't fix things. I can't think of anything I did - the
> change just happened. All else on the machine is normal. I'm stumped -
> these are handy applets but now not so useful.

Well, kde3 isn't officially supported any longer (unfortunately, as kde4
has improved dramatically with each 4.x release, but only with 4.4 got to
what I'd call rc quality, and support for 3.x was gone and 4.2 /called/
ready for normal use even tho all sorts of functionality remained broken,
with bugs open with "oh, kde4 doesn't support that yet" type comments, a
year and a half ago), but...

Have you tried with a fresh user (no existing config to perhaps screw
things up), to see if the problem is in your user config, or more system-
wide?  That's a good first step in troubleshooting the issue.

Alternatively and since you've posted, on kde4 at least, the ksysguard
config is located in the usual kde app config locations under
$KDEHOME/share/ , the apps subdir for directories of files, the config
subdir for individual rc/config files.  ($KDEHOME is ~/.kde as shipped
from kde, but some distributions change that to ~/.kde3 or the like,
ksysguard uses both the single file and apps subdir locations, worksheet
files go in the directory location, and there's a ksysguardrc in the config
location.)  With ksysguard not running, you can simply delete or rename
those, then start it again, and see if your functionality comes back, or
not.