KDE 4: the good, the bad and the broken

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 29 09:53:49 BST 2010

On Thursday 29 April 2010 08:20:12 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> The general idea is that application which make use of a certain type of
> data  also provide the interface for managing the respective resources.
> Provide in this context usually means that they show interface elements
> that  are available in the base libraries, i.e. they don't have to
> implement these themselves.
>
> KAddressBook, for example, has an "Add Addressbook" action, but it might
> make  sense to complement this with a "Manage Addressbooks" type
> functionality somewhere in the config dialog, e.g. like KMail currently
> does with accounts.
>
> I also hope the generic managment interface can be returned to the control
> center, just like there is one for KResource based access methods.

Part of the problem is that some of the configuration is in KAddressBook, as
you say, but it's also necessary to know about the KResource section,
particularly if you use more than one addressbook.  I'd rather see it all in
one place - either in KAddressBook, or with a clear direction from
KAddressBook to the KResource section of SystemSettings.

I've written it all up on UserBase, of course, but many people don't seem to
know about it yet ;-(

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group