KDE 4: the good, the bad and the broken

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 19:43:19 BST 2010

On 28 April 2010 03:25, Frank Weng (a.k.a. Franklin)
<franklin at goodhorse.idv.tw> wrote:
> Well, many users here complained to me about the menu layout in KDE4.  But I
> have never felt it confusing.

Please forward those complaints to me in private mail, I will try to
get the issues fixed. Please state whether or not I can contact the
complainers for clarification. Of course, of they are in Chinese then
I'd appreciate a translation!

Thanks.

> Some good applications in KDE3 were not ported to KDE4 successfully, like juk
> (will this be in KDE 4.5?), and another good web page editor (I forgot its
> name!  Because I couldn't use it after upgrading to KDE 4.1.  It's been a long
> time...)

Quanta was the webpage editor. You are right about that, thanks, I
will add it to the presentation.

> As a long time user of KDE (from KDE 3.2), I fall in love with KDE4 right
> after KDE 4.1 was released.  However, since KDE 4.4, I suffer from the KDE-pim
> packages.
>
> * akonadi was quite a confusing service.  I need to install a lot of packages
> to make it running, or my KMail would not be able to be launched at startup.
> Even I installed them all, akonadi sometimes still refused to startup.
> * And so far, I still can't understand the whole framework of akonadi, or say,
> kdepim, and what's the advantages to use akonadi.  Of course I read some
> documents on wiki.
> * new akonadi made my kaddressbook gone.  I can not create a new "resource" of
> addressbook.

Thanks, I will address the issue of KDE-PIM. As for your kaddressbook
resource, I think that you should start a new thread on that so that
we can fix it.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com