KDE 4: the good, the bad and the broken

Frank Weng (a.k.a. Franklin) franklin at goodhorse.idv.tw
Wed Apr 28 01:25:42 BST 2010

在 2010 年 04 月 27 日 週二 17:07:19,Dotan Cohen 寫道:
> I am performing a lecture for my LUG on KDE 4: the good, the bad and
> the broken. These are my current topics, I would like to solicit ideas
> for further good, bad, and broken aspects of KDE 4:
>
> The Good
> Okular, Konqueror, Dolphin, Kate
> I need ideas about what is exceptionally good about Plasma. I like
> Krunner and Lancelot. Anything else?

I got used to Plasma very quickly.

> The Bad
> Currently the Plasma menus are very confusing to my users, I plan on
> discussing this. Special attention will be given to menu depth and the
> Cashew. Also, some key features of KDE 3 are not yet available in KDE
> 4, and as applications get ported to KDE 4 and Akonadi they lose
> features as well. Accessibility is also a mess in KDE 4. What else is
> just bad about KDE 4?

Well, many users here complained to me about the menu layout in KDE4.  But I
have never felt it confusing.

Some good applications in KDE3 were not ported to KDE4 successfully, like juk
(will this be in KDE 4.5?), and another good web page editor (I forgot its
name!  Because I couldn't use it after upgrading to KDE 4.1.  It's been a long
time...)

> The Broken
> I suffer many Kontact bugs, and some design ideas seem broken in their
> current implementation (activities, which will be addressed for KDE
> 4.5). What else is broken for you in KDE 4?
>
> Thanks!

As a long time user of KDE (from KDE 3.2), I fall in love with KDE4 right
after KDE 4.1 was released.  However, since KDE 4.4, I suffer from the KDE-pim
packages.

* akonadi was quite a confusing service.  I need to install a lot of packages
to make it running, or my KMail would not be able to be launched at startup.
Even I installed them all, akonadi sometimes still refused to startup.
* And so far, I still can't understand the whole framework of akonadi, or say,
kdepim, and what's the advantages to use akonadi.  Of course I read some
documents on wiki.
* new akonadi made my kaddressbook gone.  I can not create a new "resource" of
addressbook.

Franklin