Plasma workspace error

Thomas Olsen tanghus at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 18:37:46 BST 2010

Hi Hannie

Please don't top post. See below.

On Wednesday 28 April 2010 18:05:05 lafeber-dumoleyn2 wrote:
> Dear Thomas Olsen,
> Thank you for your answer about Plasma workspace error. My situation is
> slightly more complicated because I have Kubuntu running in a Virtual
> Machine. I can start a Recovery mode where I choose "root" (Drop to root
> shell prompt). When I type the command "mv ~/.kde .kde.bak" I get the
> message "No such file or directory". After changing the prompt like
> this: PS1=me at myPC:~S, I went to /home/me and tried the command again. It
> only works when I give the command: "mv .kde .kde.bak" (It doesn't work
> with the backup-suffix ~). When I type find .kde.bak I get a lot of
> lines with information. But after a restart of Kubuntu I get the same
> error, and no desktop.
> I would be very grateful if you can come up with a solution.
> Regards,
> Hannie

OK - it seems you succeeded in moving .kde to .kde.bak. The prompt should have
nothing to do with this. "~/" is simply your home folder as in
/home/<username>/ so "~/.kde" is equivalent to "/home/<username>/.kde".
You should not do "find .kde.bak". When you type "ls .kde" it should say "No
such file or directory" because you have moved ".kde" to ".kde.bak". If this is
true and you still get no desktop on re-login please post the contents of
.xsession-errors from your home folder and any other error messages here.

--
Best Regards / Med venlig hilsen

Thomas Olsen